Saturday 23 October 2010

Excellent Exeter!

Just home from my tour with the Scottish Book Trust tour round Exeter, and what a great time I had. Schools well prepared, they had read and studied the books, and were really looking forward to my visit. And the whole week was made so easy and enjoyable by Chris and Candy from the Book Trust who were doing all the driving and the lugging and the carrying. All I had to do was sit in the car, go from place to place, and talk. And talking is something I have never had any trouble with. it's getting me to stop that's the problem.  I had some lovely news when I was down there, but I can't tell you about it yet. Sworn to secrecy! 
    Talking to readers, going round schools is for me the best kind of research I can do. I can watch how pupils talk to each other, see how they dress, how they wear their hair. Listen to how funny they can be with each other, how thoughtful they can be, and most of all, find out what kind of books they would like me to write next.
    I was also inspired by Chris and Candy about things I want to do next. It was great being with people who have so many fantastic ideas. So I am back home, all fired up!!!!The people I met in Exeter were so friendly, so helpful I would like to thank them all for a lovely visit. I will definitely be going back there!

No comments:

Post a Comment